The Arabic Intensive is a prerequisite for those seeking to study the Shari’ah programme, because proficiency in the Arabic language is essential for the study of the Islamic sciences at an advanced level. The programme focuses on the sciences of Arabic syntax and morphology, as well as the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. It is imperative that students come to understand spoken as well as written Arabic during the Arabic Intensive, as they will receive teaching purely in Arabic in some of the courses in the Shari’ah programme.
- To enable students to attain proficiency in syntax and morphology.
- To enable students to attain proficiency in reading, writing, listening to, and speaking the Arabic language.
- To equip students to understand written and spoken Arabic.
- To teach students in Arabic from the second semester onwards.
1 year full-time
- Enables students to understand and assimilate the principles of syntax.
- Equips students to understand and memorise the verb scales for regular and irregular verbs.
- Provides students with the opportunity to understand and assimilate the rules of tajwīd, and to apply them to their Quranic recitation.
- Introduces students to the basic principles of Shāfi’i fiqh.
Prophetic Narration (Ḥadīth)
- Equips students to understand, assimilate and memorise selected aḥadīth at an elementary level.
The skills courses, such as muḥādathah (conversation), reading, writing and listening, provide the platform for students to integrate the principles of syntax and morphology into the practical expression of Arabic orally and in writing, and to develop a nuanced understanding of the language.
Monday to Thursday: 08.00 – 13.30
Friday: 08.00 – 11.00
Monday to Thursday: 18.00 – 21.00
First registration: R800. Payment must be made at registration to secure a place.
Returning students: R500. Payment must be made at registration to secure a place.
R14,400 per year
Payments may be made in a lump sum or by monthly instalments. The deadline for the final payment is Friday, 15th December 2020.